This is our veggie garden, as of last Sunday. Everything that was meant to be planted is in the ground. I did not find bush beans, leeks or shallots… Perhaps next year. Since the time this pic was taken, the weather here has fluctuated from 95+ degrees to the current 51 degrees. It’s been a crazy “spring”, if I dare call it that. There’s been lots of thunderstorms, a handful of tornado warnings, flash flooding in nearby areas and a few absolutely perfect sunny dry days in-between.
The veggie garden is but one of several garden spots in our yard, but it’s the only one that I created specifically for its own purpose. There are five clearly-defined other areas for flower gardens, along with a few more miscellaneous nooks… There were flowers in those spots when we moved in, but I’ve slowly yet surely dug up many of those plants and planted my own. The previous plants just didn’t have the blues and purples that I adore for my flower beds. 🙂 Pics of those works-in-progress will most certainly follow.
For now, here’s the ingredient list for our veggie garden:
- Tomatoes – 2 Cherry plants, 1 Roma and 5 Slicing-type of tomatoes
- Onions – a patch of Yellow Onions and a patch for Green Onions
- Peppers – 1 Jalapeno, 1 Yellow, 3 Red and a Merlin Pepper that Pup picked out
- Eggplant – Though the leaves are already getting eaten by some insect
- Asparagus – These humor me as they grow… They’re so stinking skinny, but tall
- Potatoes – These were shipped to me by mistake instead of asparagus, so they re-shipped the actual asparagus and said keep the potatoes. We shall see… There is a leafy bunch near where I planted them, but I’m still not certain that it’s a potato…
That’s the update from today. Everything seems to have taken root quite well. It won’t get watered for the five days that we’re away next week, but I still think everything will do just fine…